Friday, March 13, 2015

Body Part Centers

Third Grade Centers:


Luckily, our week of testing and the end of our body part unit happened to coincide. I thought centers would be the perfect way to review and practice vocabulary while giving students a much-needed break from testing!

 All centers focused on body part vocabulary as well as the use of "Me duele" (It hurts me). I put students into groups of 4 and then introduced each station very briefly.  I made sure to leave instructions and vocabulary students might need, at each station. I allowed 4 minutes for each station, but would adjust as necessary. I had students choose a timer from this fun website: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/classroom-timers.

The centers:
Center 1: Labeling Body Part Race
Students seemed to enjoy this one! They had to label the body parts of a group member and switch. We did this in an earlier class in a relay race, but did not label all parts at once. I left labels and tape for 2 groups of 2. I found that there was time to only label two group members. Who was labeled was easily solved with a game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors"!


Center 2: ¡José no tiene! Flashcards


This station featured cards students had used in class prior to doing centers.  Students had to turn over the cards and say what José is missing! Some groups finished this quickly,  so I added a monster draw activity. Students rolled a dice to find out how many heads, feet, eyes, etc. their monster would have and then they could draw it on the whiteboard. 




Center 3: ¡Ejercicios! Exercise



I got this brilliant idea from colleague, Yvonne Vazquez. I gave the kids a list of exercises to do and asked them to count the repetitions in Spanish. They definitely enjoyed the movement!
For example: Corran rápidamente y toquen (touch) las rodillas (run fast while touching your knees).


Center 4: "Me duele" charades: It hurts me charades
I made up cards with phrases like: "Me duele la cabeza" (My head hurts). Students took turns acting out and guessing. Some were very dramatic!
¡Me duele la nariz!  My nose hurts!




No comments:

Post a Comment